Worst is still to come from coronavirus, WHO chief warns

Worst is still to come from coronavirus, WHO chief warns

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director-General of the World Health Organization, has warned the world that the “worst is yet to come” in the Covid-19 pandemic.

His message remained “Test, Trace, Isolate and Quarantine”, he said.

More than 10m cases have been recorded worldwide since coronavirus emerged in China late last year. The number of patients who died is now above 500,000.

Dr Tedros told a virtual briefing on Monday: “We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is this is not even close to being over.

“Although many countries have made some progress, globally the pandemic is actually speeding up.”

He also urged more governments to follow the examples of Germany, South Korea and Japan, which kept their outbreak in check through policies that included rigorous testing and tracing.